Yankees official on A-Rod’s comments from Friday night: “This is typical Alex”

60 Comments

Alex Rodriguez made some pointed comments after his rehab game with Double-A Trenton last night, alleging that certain “entities” were conspiring to prevent him from playing while finding “creative ways” to cancel his contract. While the embattled third baseman didn’t come right out and say it, he certainly gave the impression that the Yankees are one of those “entities.”

The Yankees naturally weren’t thrilled about the comments, as least according to one team source who spoke to the New York Daily News.

“This is typical Alex,” one Yankee official told the Daily News on Saturday. “Instead of taking responsibility for his actions, he blames everybody else. It wasn’t the Yankees who introduced [RODRIGUEZ]to Anthony Bosch. It wasn’t the Yankees who introduced him to Dr. Galea, or anybody else.” (The official was referring to Rodriguez’s association with Bosch, who is believed to have distributed performance-enhancing drugs to scores of athletes, and to Galea, a human growth hormone proponent who treated Rodriguez in 2009.)

The source was also said to be “amused” by Rodriguez’s claim that, “I think we all agree that we want to get rid of PEDs; that’s a must.”

Rodriguez still has $100 million remaining on his $275 million contract. Conspiracy theories aside, the Yankees would benefit greatly from a severe suspension or ban.

While Rodriguez will continue his minor league rehab assignment tonight, MLB is expected to announce suspensions by Monday for those connected to Biogenesis. Eight players — including Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, and Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera — are expected to receive 50-game suspensions, but various reports have indicated that MLB is prepared to ban Rodriguez for life if he doesn’t agree to a settlement. Bud Selig has reportedly considered using the “best interests of baseball” clause to keep him off the field if he appeals. And all indications are that Rodriguez is prepared to fight.

Report: Rangers’ deal with Seung-hwan Oh is off

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Rangers will not sign free agent reliever Seung-hwan Oh after all. Reports from MLB.com’s TR Sullivan indicate that negotiations were brought to a halt after a physical issue was found with the pitcher. While the specifics have yet to be released, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News says the issue was revealed on an MRI of the right-hander’s arm.

Oh was thought to be in talks with the Rangers last week, though a deal was never officially announced by the club. The 35-year-old righty is fresh off of a two-year run with the Cardinals, during which he posted a cumulative 39 saves, 2.85 ERA, 2.1 BB/9 and 10.2 SO/9 in 139 innings. He struggled with consistency in his sophomore season, however, and finished 2017 with a disappointing 4.10 ERA and 4.44 FIP in 62 appearances for the team.

While Oh hasn’t experienced any setbacks with his arm in the majors so far, he does have a history of prior injuries during his time in KBO. He sustained a shoulder injury in 2009 and underwent surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow in 2010. It’s possible that the Rangers saw an entirely different problem on the MRI, but clearly it was enough to give them strong reservations about inking the righty to a $2.75+ million deal. It’s still possible that another of Oh’s suitors will offer him a contract prior to Opening Day; the Giants were rumored to be interested in the veteran reliever, among other teams, though their recent acquisition of lefty reliever Tony Watson will likely take them out of the running now.