Buck Showalter thought his comments about the Yankees were off-the-record

27 Comments

We heard earlier today that Orioles manager Buck Showalter made some interesting comments to USA Today about the repercussions of a possible suspension of Alex Rodriguez, specifically that the Yankees would be able to get under the $189 million luxury tax threshold next season and potentially spend freely in free agency once again. He used his own catcher, Matt Wieters, as an example of someone who the Yankees could have their eye on.  However, if Showalter had it his way, the comments would have never seen the light of day.

According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, Showalter said this afternoon that he thought his comments were off-the-record.

“I said it and someone decided to print it,” Showalter said. “It’s unfortunate, but what are you going to do? … It all boils out from the idea that we’d like Matt to be with us. We like him.”

Sure enough, Wieters was asked about the USA Today article prior to tonight’s game, so Showalter probably wasn’t upset about his general theory getting out as much as he was regretful about name-dropping one of his own players and causing a momentary distraction in the clubhouse. But the sentiment is certainly understandable. A suspension of Rodriguez — who is set to make $25 million next season — would be a gift to the Yankees.

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.

Dave Roberts: It “doesn’t make sense” for Scott Kazmir to start year in Dodgers’ rotation

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
2 Comments

Scott Kazmir won’t begin the regular season in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Manager Dave Roberts said after Kazmir’s Cactus League outing on Sunday that it “doesn’t make sense” for the ailing Kazmir to break camp in the rotation, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. The lefty will instead rehab some more and join the rotation at a later time.

Kazmir has been battling a hip issue which has caused his mechanics to suffer. He was clocked in the low 80’s 10 days ago and wasn’t much better on Sunday afternoon.

Last season with the Dodgers, Kazmir posted a 4.56 ERA with a 134/52 K/BB ratio in 136 1/3 innings, his worst numbers since returning to the majors in 2013.