Albert Pujols won’t require surgery on foot, still hopes to return this season

28 Comments

Albert Pujols landed on the disabled list over the weekend due to a partial tear of the left plantar fascia, but he’s still hoping to make it back this season.

According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Pujols said this evening that he will not require surgery on his foot since the tear naturally accomplished what surgery would have done. He expects to shed a walking boot in three weeks and hopes to begin working his way back to the Angels from there.

“I’ll see how I feel [after three weeks],” Pujols said. “But it’s still a long way until the season is done, so I don’t want to say that I’m done for the season. This is something that I’m going to take day-by-day. The way I feel right now, with no pain, I can say that I can go out there and play. But I need to put that weight on my heel and that’s going to take some time. I feel really good, to tell you the truth. I don’t feel any pain at all. I think after that tear, it kind of released the pain, which is good.”

Pujols said he was playing at “45 percent” this year while dealing with the nagging foot injury, so he thinks he can help even if he’s at “55 percent,” but there’s little sense of urgency for him to rush back for the final days of a lost season. The Angels will enter play tonight on a six-game losing streak and sit at 46-56 on the year.

Pujols, 33, is batting .258/.330/.437 with 17 home runs and 64 RBI in 99 games this season. He still has another eight years remaining on his 10-year, $240 million contract with the Angels.

Report: Bryan Shaw has two multiyear offers on the table

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent reliever Bryan Shaw has received two multiyear offers, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. The teams in question have not been revealed, but the demand for Shaw is expected to be high as he comes off of a career-best season.

The 30-year-old right-hander went 4-6 in 79 appearances for the Indians, drawing a 3.52 ERA, 2.6 BB/9 and 8.6 SO/9 in 76 2/3 innings. He ranked 12th among qualified relievers with 1.6 fWAR, his highest mark to date, and proved instrumental in helping the club reach their second consecutive division title in 2017.

The Mets are the last known team to show interest in Shaw, as the New York Post’s Mike Puma reported Wednesday. Nothing has been officially confirmed by the club yet, naturally, but they could still use a couple of arms to round out the bullpen behind Jerry Blevins, AJ Ramos and Jeurys Familia and it’s worth noting that the right-hander has already worked closely with Mets’ skipper and former Indians’ pitching coach Mickey Callaway. While Shaw’s proven consistency and durability should appeal to a wide variety of teams, he’s due for a big payday after making just $4.6 million in his last year with the Indians.