Yankees showing interest in Angels’ Alberto Callaspo

10 Comments

The Yankees are aiming to bring in a new third baseman by Wednesday’s 4 p.m. ET trade deadline. And they apparently have a specific target in mind.

From Danny Knobler of CBS Sports comes word that New York’s front office has “been in touch” with the Angels about a potential trade for 30-year-old infielder Alberto Callaspo. Knobler says the Angels “have made nearly everyone available, as they try to rework their roster for next year and beyond.”

Callaspo is batting just .252/.323/.348 with five homers and 36 RBI in 85 games this season for Anaheim, but Yankees third baseman have a combined .217/.276/.288 slash line and only four big flies.

Callaspo is making a $4.1 million salary this year and is owed a $4.875 million sum for the 2014 campaign.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”