Tyler Clippard says the Nationals have handled Drew Storen “very poorly”

129 Comments

Drew Storen was demoted to Triple-A Syracuse after yesterday’s doubleheader against the Mets. It’s a dramatic fall from grace for someone who looked like one of the best young relievers in the game just two years ago. Coming off his implosion during the NLDS last October against the Cardinals, Storen owns a 5.95 ERA through 47 appearances this season.

While sending Storen down to the minors is probably the best thing for him at this point, fellow reliever Tyler Clippard had some critical words for the organizational after the game, telling Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com that signing Rafael Soriano over the winter sent the wrong message.

“I think there’s a lot of things that led to this that could’ve been prevented,” Clippard said, holding back tears at one point. “You know, you basically send a guy a message this offseason, for having one bad game, that he’s not the guy for the job. He’s only human. I mean, it’s going to get to anybody. …

“I can understand, you know, after the devastation that happened last year, maybe trying to make a change and say: ‘Hey, we’re going to bring in somebody that we think can get it done in that big situation,” Clippard added. “It’s just the wrong message to send, I think. But at the end of the day, that’s what happened and that’s where we’re at. It’s up to me, it’s up to Drew, it’s up to everyone in this locker room to pick ourselves up and move forward.”

“It’s one of those things that I think was handled very poorly by the organization. But at the same time, that’s the decision that was made and we have to move forward as a team. We have great guys in this locker room that are going to get it done. We’re going to make a playoff push at the end of the season, I have no doubt about that. But this is a tough day.”

Ouch. It should be stated that Clippard is Storen’s best friend on the team, so the emotional reaction is understandable. And we shouldn’t judge him too much for that. Reporters asked him what he thought right after the move happened, so he gave an honest and raw reaction.

On paper, the addition of Soriano improved a strength, but it has clearly had some unintended consequences. Storen is a mess right now, either because of the uncertainty of pitching in a set-up role or because he hasn’t gotten over what happened last October. Or most likely, some combination of the two. Hopefully taking him out of the spotlight for a while can get his career back on track.

Report: Braves extend Kurt Suzuki

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kurt Suzuki will wear a Braves’ uniform through the 2018 season after signing a one-year, $3.5 million extension with the club on Saturday, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal. Rosenthal adds that the two had been in talks for weeks and Suzuki made it clear that he wanted to remain in Atlanta for the foreseeable future. The team has yet to announce the extension.

Suzuki, 33, initially signed a one-year contract with the Braves back in January. The veteran backstop stepped into a backup role behind starting catcher Tyler Flowers, but still found a way to impress at the plate with a .271/.343/.525 batting line, career-best 18 home runs and an .868 OPS through 287 PA. According to FanGraphs, Suzuki’s 2.2 fWAR makes 2017 his most valuable season since his run with the 2009 Athletics.

It’s a prudent move for the Braves, who would have lost one of their most dynamic second-half hitters to the free agent market this offseason. Entering Saturday, Suzuki is second only to Freddie Freeman with 11 homers and 1.4 fWAR since the All-Star break. His stunning comeback also confirmed the team’s decision to look outside the organization for a backup catcher, rather than turning to fellow veteran Anthony Recker behind the plate.

“On a personal level, this season exceeded my expectations,” Suzuki told reporters on Wednesday. “It’s just one of those things I can’t explain. I put a lot of work in and really didn’t have a job until late January. I got an opportunity here and took advantage of it. It was definitely a good fit.”

Mikie Mahtook is likely done for the season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Tigers’ outfielder Mikie Mahtook is unlikely to play again this season, club manager Brad Ausmus announced Saturday. Mahtook was diagnosed with a Grade 2 left groin strain following Friday’s series opener against the Twins, when he appeared to injure himself after chasing down Byron Buxton‘s two-RBI double in the fourth.

This is the second time Mahtook has sustained a groin injury over the past month. The 27-year-old exited Friday’s game with a .276/.330/.457 batting line, 12 home runs and a .787 OPS through 379 plate appearances with the team.

With the Tigers out of contention, there’s no reason to trot out Mahtook for the remaining eight games of the regular season. The club has yet to specify a timetable for his return, but there’s no reason to believe he won’t be in fine shape to compete for a starting role next spring.