Alex Rios said he was never approached about trade to Yankees

9 Comments

According to the New York Post’s Joel Sherman, the Yankees gave the White Sox’s Alex Rios a long look, only to later move on to Alfonso Soriano. The reason:

Rios, though, refuted that he gave anyone any indication that a trade to the Yankees was off the table. “He should get his facts right because it puts me in a bad spot,” Rios told CSNChicago.com’s Dan Hayes. “I was never asked about that. I don’t know where he’s getting his insights.”

With the White Sox going nowhere fast, Rios makes sense as a trade target for a team looking for an outfielder. The 32-year-old has hit .276/.330/.437 with 12 homers and 21 steals this season, and he’s under contract for a perfectly acceptable $12.5 million next year, with a $13.5 million team option or a $1 million buyout for 2015. According to Hayes, the Pirates and Rangers have also been linked to him.

Mets to move Matt Harvey to the bullpen

Matt Harvey
AP Images
Leave a comment

Mets right-hander Matt Harvey is heading to the bullpen, according to comments made by club manager Mickey Callaway on Saturday. As predicted, Harvey doesn’t appear to be taking the news particularly well, going so far as to tell Callaway that the decision has him “at a 10 with being pissed off” and that he’s motivated to prove himself as a starter.

It’s been rough going for Harvey this spring. After missing significant time to a shoulder injury last season, the 29-year-old righty returned to the mound with a lot left to prove. He pitched to an 0-2 record in four starts, issuing 14 runs, four home runs and 17 strikeouts in 21 innings. It’s been a while since the Mets have seen anything better out of their starter — he hasn’t turned in a sub-4.00 ERA since 2015 and hasn’t pitched well enough to earn an All-Star berth since 2013 — and now it appears they’re at the end of their rope.

At this point, the Mets insist that the shift is a temporary one. While Callaway has helped successfully convert several starters to the bullpen, including Trevor Bauer and Carlos Carrasco, that’s not the plan for this veteran right-hander. Instead, both the team and Harvey seem to view the change as a way to clear up any mental blocks Harvey may be encountering on the mound. “We know he’s healthy,” assistant GM John Ricco told reporters. “He’s feeling good. Then you get to, is this a little bit of a mental thing, a confidence thing? One of the things we talk about is getting him into the ‘pen, where he can have success in short spurts, get that confidence back and really let it go and get back to being a guy who can dominate the way he’s shown in the past.”

Harvey will be eligible to pitch out of the bullpen on Tuesday, when the Mets are scheduled to kick off their next road series against the Cardinals. As for his replacement, left-hander Jason Vargas will resume his role in the rotation when he comes off the disabled list next Saturday.