Per the Journal Sentinel’s Todd Rosiak, Brewers VP and assistant GM Gord Ash says that recent signee Micah Owings will both play the outfield and pitch in the Minors:
“He’s going to do do both,” assistant general manager Gord Ash said. “He’s going to be Brooks Kieschnick reincarnate.”
Kieschnick became a fan favorite in 2003 and 2004, when he pitched, served as a designated hitter in interleague play, pinch-hit and also played a little outfield in the major leagues with the Brewers.
Owings last played in the Majors last season with the Padres. In 9.2 innings between April 6-25, he posted a 2.79 ERA. He then went on the disabled list after surgery to remove loose bodies from his right elbow. During the off-season, the Nationals signed him to a Minor League deal with the intent to use him exclusively as an outfielder. In 213 plate appearances with Triple-A Syracuse, Owings hit eight home runs and posted a .785 OPS. The Nationals, however, released him on July 1.
The 2017 MLB award season officially drew to a close on Friday with the Esurance MLB Awards, handed out to the best hitters, pitchers, front office members and moments in the 2017 season. Jose Altuve was crowned the Best Major Leaguer overall, beating out fellow finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, while two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber took home honors as Best Pitcher.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Rookie: Aaron Judge
- Best Defensive Player: Nolan Arenado
- Personality of the Year: Adrian Beltre
- Best Postseason Major Leaguer: Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander
- Best Postseason Moment: Alex Bregman‘s 10th inning walk-off single in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best TV/Radio Call: Joe Buck and John Smoltz call Jose Altuve’s game-tying three-run blast in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best Play (Offense): Nolan Arenado completes the cycle with a walk-off homer (video)
- Best Play (Defense): Austin Jackson‘s over-the-wall catch in the Red Sox’ bullpen (video)
- Best Single-Game Performance: Anthony Rendon‘s six-hit, three-homer, 10-RBI game (video)
- Best Player-Fan Interaction: Joey Votto gives Walter “Superbubz” Herbert a bat and jersey (video)
- Best Fan Catch: Fan’s brother-in-law grabs Yasiel Puig home run ball and chucks it back on the field (video)
- Best Manager: A.J. Hinch
- Best Executive: Jeff Luhnow
No surprises here — the world champion Astros ran away with seven awards, including those for Best Manger and Executive and a dual award for Best Major Leaguer of the Postseason. Altuve added to an impressive run this offseason after earning a Silver Slugger, two Players Choice Awards, Hank Aaron Award and MVP Award for his outstanding work in 2017, while Yankees’ slugger Aaron Judge continued to be a lock for all AL rookie-based awards after locking down the Rookie of the Year title earlier this week.