Sox swap: Red Sox acquire reliever Matt Thornton from White Sox

18 Comments

The Red Sox added another lefty to their bullpen tonight, completing a trade with the White Sox for reliever Matt Thornton. The Red Sox have moved Andrew Miller to the 60-day disabled list to create room on the roster, according to Alex SpeierPer Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, the White Sox have received outfield prospect Brandon Jacobs in return.

Thornton, now 36 years old, had been with the White Sox since March 20, 2006, when the team acquired him from the Mariners for Joe Borchard. Over his eight years with the White Sox, Thornton posted a 3.28 ERA and struck out 25 percent of batters he faced. He has a $6 million club option for 2014 with a $1 million buyout.

Jacobs was drafted by the Red Sox in the 10th round of the 2009 draft. At the age of 22, he was promoted to Double-A Portland for the first time this season for one game. He went 2-for-3, then was sent back to A-ball. He was promoted again two days ago. Overall, in 335 plate appearances with Single-A Salem, he posted a .774 OPS.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.