It wasn’t too long ago that we were hearing reports that Alex Rodriguez might beat Derek Jeter back from the disabled list. Well, that obviously didn’t happen. But now CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman is hearing that A-Rod might not even be ready when his 20-day rehab clock expires later this month.
As far as his rehab from his second extensive hip operation is concerned, Rodriguez is said to be experiencing “regular soreness” and although he is not in pain, even people close to him say he is “definitely not ready” for the big leagues with only 10 days to go in the rehab process. Meanwhile, Rodriguez, who turns 38 later this month, speaks hopefully about his return to the field, suggesting to friends he’d expect to move up from Class A Tampa to Double-A Trenton sometime next week with an eye on July 22, which is the day after his allotted 20-day rehab expires. If he isn’t ready for that game, that would be a major setback, as he can’t simply re-start rehab but must wait five more days to re-start rehab.
“I don’t think anybody thinks he’ll be back then. Yankees people don’t think he’s up to it physically,” one source said.
Rodriguez, who had hip surgery in January, began his rehab assignment back on June 30. The 37-year-old hasn’t been able to shake the rust at the plate quite yet, as he’s just 2-for-15 (.133) with zero extra-base hits, one RBI and three strikeouts in seven games between Class A Charleston and High-A Tampa. His game tonight was rained out.
While the timeline for his return is looking cloudy at the moment, Rodriguez will reportedly meet with MLB investigators tomorrow about his alleged connections to Biogenesis. It’s unlikely that much will come out of it, as he’s expected to use his “Jenkins” rights and essentially plead the fifth.
Free agent right-hander Tim Lincecum isn’t ready to hang up his cleats just yet. At least, that’s the word from Lincecum’s agent, Rick Thurman, who says the 32-year-old is still “throwing and getting ready for the season” (via Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News).
Lincecum may not be ready to enter retirement, but another quote from Thurman suggests that he’ll be picky about where he pitches next. He doesn’t appear open to pitching overseas, and despite not having a contract for 2017 (or even any serious suitors), the right-hander is set on pitching in the big leagues this year. Whether or not he’s willing to take a bullpen role to do so remains to be seen.
While Baggarly predicts some interest in the veteran righty, there’s not much in Lincecum’s recent history to inspire faith in him as a starter, or even a reliever. He picked up a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Angels following his hip surgery in 2015, and went 2-6 in 2016 with a 9.16 ERA, 5.4 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 over 38 1/3 innings. At this point, a minor league contract seems like the surest path back to major league success, though he’s unlikely to find an open spot on the Giants’ or Angels’ rosters anytime soon.
Free agent right-hander Jeff Manship has reportedly signed with the NC Dinos of the Korea Baseball Organization, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman. The righty was non-tendered by the Indians in December.
Manship, 32, completed his second season with Cleveland in 2016. He delivered a 3.12 ERA, 4.6 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 rate over 43 1/3 innings, a slight decline after posting an 0.92 ERA with the club the year before. During eight years in the major leagues, Manship carries a 4.82 career ERA, 3.6 BB/9 and 6.4 SO/9 in multiple stints with the Twins, Rockies, Phillies and Indians.
The right-hander will be joined by fellow MLB transplants Eric Hacker and Xavier Scruggs, each of whom took one-year deals with the Dinos last month. Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors notes that each KBO team is allowed up to three foreign players, so Manship will round out the trio when he joins the roster. Any salary terms have yet to be disclosed.