Astros call up pitching prospect Jarred Cosart

4 Comments

Jarred Cosart has struggled with his control at Triple-A, walking 50 batters in 93 innings, but the Astros have decided that the 23-year-old right-hander is ready for the majors and he’ll make his debut tomorrow against the Rays.

Cosart was acquired from the Phillies as part of the haul for Hunter Pence in 2011 and MLB.com ranked him as the No. 89 prospect coming into the season. Aside from the spotty control he’s pitched very well at Triple-A with a 3.29 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 93 innings, holding opponents to a .213 batting average.

Cosart has electric raw stuff, throwing a heavy mid-90s fastball that generates tons of ground balls and very few homers. He hasn’t fared particularly well of late, allowing five runs and four walks in his final Triple-A start last week, and the Rays are a relatively tough debut matchup with the fifth-best offense in the league.

Carlos Gomez doesn’t see any need to apologize for walk-off homer celebration

Joseph Garnett Jr. /Getty Images
1 Comment

On Sunday, Rays outfielder Carlos Gomez hit a walk-off home run against the Twins. He was very fired up about his accomplishment and celebrated:

The Twins have already gotten upset with a player for bunting while Jose Berrios worked on a one-hit shutout. No one on the Twins said anything about Gomez’s antics, but even if they had, Gomez wouldn’t have felt any need to apologize, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Gomez said, “It’s something I know a lot of people are talking good about this, that baseball needs more of that. And some people say it’s not good. If enjoying and having fun in baseball is bad, I’m guilty.”

He added, “I was not trying to disrespect anybody. I was not looking to the other side, not looking at the ball. I was looking at my guys.”

Gomez also said that baseball is “getting a little boring.” His advice? “Enjoy it. Have fun. It’s competition.”

Can’t argue with that.