The Yankees have activated infielder Eduardo Nunez from the 60-day disabled list while right-hander David Phelps has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a slight sprain of his right forearm.
Nunez has been sidelined for two months with a left ribcage strain. The 26-year-old batted .375 (6-for-16) with one RBI and four walks in seven minor league rehab games between Low-A Charleston, High-A Tampa, and Double-A Trenton. He’ll get a chance to fill in at shortstop for now, though Derek Jeter isn’t far off from a return.
As for Phelps, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com notes that he has been shut down for 10 days. The 26-year-old gave up four runs in 6 1/3 innings against the Twins in his most recent start on Thursday and holds a 5.01 ERA and 75/32 K/BB ratio over 82 2/3 innings this season. Ivan Nova, who struck out 11 in a complete game win over the Orioles last night, will keep a spot in the starting rotation for now.
The 2017 MLB award season officially drew to a close on Friday with the Esurance MLB Awards, handed out to the best hitters, pitchers, front office members and moments in the 2017 season. Jose Altuve was crowned the Best Major Leaguer overall, beating out fellow finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, while two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber took home honors as Best Pitcher.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Rookie: Aaron Judge
- Best Defensive Player: Nolan Arenado
- Personality of the Year: Adrian Beltre
- Best Postseason Major Leaguer: Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander
- Best Postseason Moment: Alex Bregman‘s 10th inning walk-off single in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best TV/Radio Call: Joe Buck and John Smoltz call Jose Altuve’s game-tying three-run blast in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best Play (Offense): Nolan Arenado completes the cycle with a walk-off homer (video)
- Best Play (Defense): Austin Jackson‘s over-the-wall catch in the Red Sox’ bullpen (video)
- Best Single-Game Performance: Anthony Rendon‘s six-hit, three-homer, 10-RBI game (video)
- Best Player-Fan Interaction: Joey Votto gives Walter “Superbubz” Herbert a bat and jersey (video)
- Best Fan Catch: Fan’s brother-in-law grabs Yasiel Puig home run ball and chucks it back on the field (video)
- Best Manager: A.J. Hinch
- Best Executive: Jeff Luhnow
No surprises here — the world champion Astros ran away with seven awards, including those for Best Manger and Executive and a dual award for Best Major Leaguer of the Postseason. Altuve added to an impressive run this offseason after earning a Silver Slugger, two Players Choice Awards, Hank Aaron Award and MVP Award for his outstanding work in 2017, while Yankees’ slugger Aaron Judge continued to be a lock for all AL rookie-based awards after locking down the Rookie of the Year title earlier this week.