Brian Roberts expected to be activated from the disabled list this weekend

4 Comments

UPDATE: Orioles manager Buck Showalter told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that Roberts will not be activated tomorrow and is more likely to return Saturday or Sunday.

6:20 p.m. ET: Brian Roberts suffered a ruptured tendon in his right hamstring back on April 4 and eventually required surgery, but he’s finally on the verge of rejoining the Orioles.

According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Roberts is expected to be activated from the disabled list for this weekend’s series against the Yankees. Now seven weeks removed from surgery, the 35-year-old went 2-for-4 with a double and two runs scored in his first rehab game with Triple-A Norfolk on Tuesday and walked twice in a suspended game last night.

Injuries have limited Roberts to just 118 games at the major league level since the start of 2010, but Orioles manager Buck Showalter said he will be the starting second baseman upon his return. Baltimore’s second basemen have combined to bat just .228/.286/.335 so far this season. Only the Royals and Blue Jays have a lower OPS from the position.

Report: Braves to promote Ronald Acuña

AP Photo/Lynne Sladky
1 Comment

MLB.com’s Mark Bowman confirms a report from Daniel Álvarez Montes of EVTV Miami that the Braves are calling up outfield prospect Ronald Acuña from Triple-A Gwinnett.

The move is obviously much anticipated and expected, as Acuña is considered the top prospect in baseball among those who hadn’t been called up to the majors yet. Acuña has had a slow start with Gwinnett, as he’s batting only .215/.301/.277 in 73 plate appearances. However, he has turned things around somewhat in recent days, batting .379 with a double and a homer since April 17.

Acuña should be in Wednesday’s starting lineup against the Reds and he should be a lineup regular going forward. The expectations are high for Acuña, who signed with the Braves as an international free agent in July 2014.