Mark Teixeira is back on the disabled list for a second time with the wrist injury he suffered during the World Baseball Classic and last week’s cortisone injection apparently hasn’t helped.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that Teixeira “is still sore, even after the shot” and “it’s clearly not a good situation.”
Cashman has said repeatedly that surgery was always an option for Teixeira and the lack of progress he’s made recently seemingly raises those odds quite a bit. Teixeira has played in just 15 of the Yankees’ first 75 games, hitting .151. He’s been back on the disabled list since June 16.
Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets have discussed a trade involving starter Matt Harvey with at least two teams. Apparently, the Mets were even willing to move Harvey for a reliever.
The Mets tendered Harvey a contract on December 1. He’s entering his third and final year of arbitration eligibility and will likely see a slight bump from last season’s salary of $5.125 million. As a result, there was some thought going into late November that the Mets would non-tender Harvey.
Harvey, 28, made 18 starts and one relief appearance last year and had horrendous results. He put up a 6.70 ERA with a 67/47 K/BB ratio in 92 2/3 innings. Between his performance, his impending free agency, and his injury history, the Mets aren’t likely to get much back in return for Harvey. Even expecting a reliever in return may be too lofty.
Along with bullpen help, the Mets also need help at second base, first base, and the outfield. They don’t have many resources with which to address those needs. Ackert described the Mets’ resources as “a very limited stash of prospects” and “limited payroll space.”