Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth”

43 Comments

This reads like a crime thriller. It’s the story of Porter Fischer, the Biogenesis employee who took Tony Bosch’s notes and records, turned them over to the Miami New Times and unleashed the biggest PEDs scandal since BALCO. He has allowed the Miami Times to tell his story.

All kinds of unseemliness here. A large part of it involving MLB’s investigators approaching Fischer after the story broke, alternating threats and payment if he’d provide the records to Major League Baseball and agree to assist their investigation:

On February 25, Fischer finally decided to meet with two MLB investigators, both ex-NYPD cops. They started with the carrots: They’d pay Fischer just to talk. If things worked out, maybe they could even move him to a gated community. And there would be justice for the cheaters.

Fischer replied, “I don’t give a shit about you or your ballplayers. This is about self-preservation to me.”

So the ex-cops switched tactics: If someone were to sue you, they warned, it could be expensive. MLB could indemnify him from damages. “I’m not worried about court,” Fischer countered. “I’m worried about a bullet in my head.”

There is all manner of weirdness here: Fischer comes off a bit, well, dramatic. He claims that, after the story broke, his copies of the Biogenesis documents were stolen from his car and the next thing he knows Anthony Bosch is agreeing to cooperate with MLB. The implication being that, directly or otherwise, the documents he stole from Bosch were stolen back by Bosch.

But Fischer isn’t exactly operating objectively here. He says “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth as far as I’m concerned.” For getting in bed with Tony Bosch, Fischer would have us believe, but a lot of it also seems to based on the fact that he’s not a part of the deal. Understandable, I guess, especially if what he says — that MLB at one point offered him $125,000 for his documents and cooperation — represents the kind of deal Bosch got.

It’s hard to know who or what to believe here. One wonders, though, if the lawyers for any players suspended in all of this would call Fischer in their defense case. And whether that would help or hurt.

Report: Diamondbacks acquire Steven Souza from Rays in part of three-team deal

Tampa Bay Rays
6 Comments

Update (6:35 PM ET): This is a three-team deal also involving the Diamondbacks, per Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. The Diamondbacks will receive outfielder Steven Souza from the Rays and second baseman Brandon Drury will head to the Yankees. Lefty reliever Anthony Banda will go to the Rays, Piecoro adds. The Diamondbacks will also receive prospect Taylor Widener from the Yankees, per Joel Sherman of the New York Post. MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert adds that the Rays will get two players to be named later from the D-Backs.

Souza, 28, is earning $3.55 million in his first of three years of arbitration eligibility, so the Rays are presumably saving money in moving him. Last season, Souza hit a productive .239/.351/.459 with 30 home runs, 78 RBI, 78 runs scored, and 16 stolen bases in 617 plate appearances. Souza’s arrival almost certainly pushes Yasmany Tomas out of a starting gig.

Drury, 25, has played a handful of positions in his brief major league career. Last year, he played second base in Arizona, batting .267/.317/.447 with 13 home runs and 63 RBI in 480 PA.

Banda, 24, made his major league debut last season, posting an ugly 5.96 ERA with a 25/10 K/BB ratio in 25 2/3 innings. The peripherals suggest he pitched better than his ERA indicated.

Widener, 23, was selected by the Yankees in the 12th round of the 2016 draft. This past season with High-A Tampa, he pitched 119 1/3 innings and posted a 3.39 ERA with a 129/50 K/BB ratio. MLB Pipeline rated Widener as the 14th-best prospect in the Yankees’ system.

*

Robert Murray of FanRag Sports reports that the Rays will acquire second base prospect Nick Solak from the Yankees. The Yankees’ return is presently not known.

Solak, 23, was selected by the Yankees in the second round of the 2016 draft. He spent last season between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton, hitting a combined .297/.384/.452 with 12 home runs, 53 RBI, 72 runs scored, and 14 stolen bases.

MLB Pipeline ranked Solak as the eighth-best prospect in the Yankees’ system and the fifth-best second base prospect in baseball, praising him for his ability to hit line drives as well as his speed.