Clay Buchholz scratched from Tuesday start, could be placed on disabled list

2 Comments

The Red Sox were hoping that Clay Buchholz would be ready to make his next scheduled start during Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Rays, but Evan Drellich of MassLive.com reports that he has been scratched due to continued discomfort in his neck.

Buchholz left his start last Saturday due to neck tightness. While Red Sox manager John Farrell said that he “felt a little bit better” while throwing today, he’s not ready to test things with a bullpen session. Felix Doubront is now scheduled to pitch one of the two games on Tuesday, but the Red Sox may end up placing Buchholz on the disabled list in order to make room for the other starter.

“Yeah, we are (considering a trip to the DL) and Clay’s well aware of that and we had a chance to talk about where our threshold might be to make a decision,” Farrell said. “Still, bottom line being we’re not going to put him out there until we go through the normal build-up and make sure he’s in a safe place physically.’’

Buchholz leads the majors with a 1.71 ERA and is tied with Detroit’s Max Scherzer for the American League lead with nine wins. The 28-year-old right-hander missed a start late last month due to soreness in his AC joint, but it’s not believed to be related to his current injury.

Kris Bryant exits game with sprained right ankle

Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Cubs had a scare on Wednesday night when third baseman Kris Bryant left with an apparent ankle injury. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Nationals catcher Matt Wieters hit a pop up that veered just into foul territory near the third base bag. Bryant caught it but his momentum took him back into fair territory. In doing so, he stepped awkwardly on the third base bag and appeared to twist his ankle. Bryant needed the assistance of manager Joe Maddon and the team trainer to get off the field.

Bryant was diagnosed with a mild ankle sprain, CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney reports.

Bryant was 2-for-3 on the night before departing and being replaced by Jeimer Candelario. He’s now hitting .264/.395/.520 with 16 home runs and 32 RBI in 329 plate appearances. Needless to say, the 39-39 Cubs would see their playoff odds hurt immensely if Bryant were to miss a significant amount of time.

Miguel Sano will participate in the 2017 Home Run Derby

Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hector Gomez reports Twins third baseman Miguel Sano will participate in the 2017 Home Run Derby, to be held in two weeks at Marlins Park in Miami. So far, Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton is the only other confirmed participant.

Sano, 24, is having an outstanding season, batting .274/.375/.548 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 293 plate appearances. According to MLB’s Statcast, only Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge (96.7 MPH) has a higher average exit velocity than Sano (96.4 MPH).

Brian Dozier was the last member of the Twins to participate in the Home Run Derby. In 2014 at Target Field, Dozier failed to make it into the second round after hitting only two home runs. Justin Morneau is the only Twin to have ever won the Home Run Derby, as he beat Josh Hamilton 5-3 in the finals of the 2008 Derby at Yankee Stadium — although Hamilton out-homered him in total 35 to 22.