Troy Tulowitzki out 4-6 weeks with broken rib

19 Comments

UPDATE: Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that Tulowitzki is expected to miss 4-6 weeks. The Rockies will likely recall Josh Rutledge to replace him on the active roster, but it’s going to tough to hang around in the playoff race without him.

9:39 PM: Terrible news for the Rockies. Troy Renck of the Denver Post was told by major league sources that Tulowitzki was diagnosed with a broken rib on his right side following an MRI. He’s expected to face a lengthy absence.

9:33 PM: The Rockies have been one of baseball’s biggest surprises this season in part because Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez have been healthy and extremely productive, but today wasn’t very kind to them.

Tulowitzki injured his ribs on a diving stop in the eighth inning of this afternoon’s game against the Nationals. Rockies manager Walt Weiss told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that he’s actually been dealing with soreness in the area for about a week. He’ll undergo an MRI to determine the severity of the injury, but he could obviously miss an extended period of time if it turns out to be one of those nasty strained oblique muscles.

Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler also left today’s game due to injury, but both are considered day-to-day for now. In a freak play, Gonzalez was hit in the left foot by a foul ball off the bat of Jordan Pacheco when he was standing in the on-deck circle in the first inning. Fortunately for the Rockies, X-rays came back negative. Fowler was later hit in the hand by a pitch while pulling back on a bunt attempt in the third inning, but was diagnosed with a right ring finger contusion. While he’s dealing with some swelling and can’t grip the bat at the moment, it appears that Tulowitzki could miss the most time among the injured trio.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.