Scary stuff here from beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
Right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who needed emergency surgery after being struck on the head by a line drive last season, suffered a seizure last week.
The Diamondbacks pitcher said Saturday he’s fine now and is hopeful it won’t push back his recovery from shoulder inflammation.
McCarthy was at a restaurant in north Phoenix with his wife, Amanda, on Monday night when the incident occurred.
After he slumped over in a booth, Amanda climbed across, pushed the table away and called for help.
McCarthy was rushed to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona where he was given a CT scan and immediately put on anti-seizure medication. The CT scan, thankfully, showed no new head trauma.
“I remember someone restraining me and telling me I had a seizure,” McCarthy told Piecoro later. “I don’t really remember much past that until I was at the hospital.” It was the first seizure he’s ever had.
McCarthy is on the disabled list currently because of right shoulder inflammation. The 29-year-old starting pitcher had a 5.00 ERA, 1.43 WHIP and 39/10 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf.
Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly reports that the Phillies are close to signing free agent reliever Joaquin Benoit. An announcement is expected before the winter meetings end on Thursday.
Benoit, 39, has quietly been among the better relievers in baseball over the past seven years. This past season with the Mariners and Blue Jays, the right-hander put up an aggregate 2.81 ERA with a 52/24 K/BB ratio in 48 innings. That included a 0.38 ERA in 23 2/3 innings after the Jays acquired him from the Mariners.
Benoit suffered a torn calf muscle during a benches-clearing brawl with the Yankees near the end of the regular season. He’s expected to be healthy for spring training.
The Phillies have now added three relievers this offseason with Benoit, Pat Neshek, and David Rollins.
ESPN’s Pedro Gomez provides a previously unreported detail of the new collective bargaining agreement, agreed to by the owners and the players’ union last week. Players’ meal money for road games is being reduced from $105 to $30 per day. Teams are providing pre- and post-game meals in the visitors’ clubhouse to offset some of the decrease in meal money.
Gomez quotes an unnamed player who said, “I doubt many guys know about the money going down, nor would they have agreed to it.” All of the players Gomez contacted said they were unaware of and unhappy about the change.
Clubhouse attendants are certainly unhappy about this change, too. As Gomez notes, the attendants previously provided food for visiting teams which earned them tips from the players.
EDIT: It’s worth clarifying that chefs are required in clubhouses now as part of the new CBA, so it’s not a complete loss for the players.