There was a lot of confusion earlier this week when police in the Cleveland suburb of Rocky River served a search warrant on Indians closer Chris Perez’s house as part of a drug investigation.
Initial reports had Perez being charged with drug possession, but that was later amended to Perez simply being investigated for a package containing marijuana being delivered to his house. There was even some speculation that the place’s previous owners, who apparently had a lengthy rap sheet, were responsible.
Today most of that confusion has been cleared up, as NewsNet5 in Cleveland reports that Perez and his wife have been charged with a misdemeanor count of possession of controlled substance. According to police the couple had “a little more than a third of a pound of marijuana or 163.9 grams” delivered to their home and they’re scheduled to be arraigned on June 19.
Perez, who’s on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, has been released on bond.
UPDATE: Perez’s lawyer told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the couple will plead not guilty.
Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.
That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.
Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.