Padres activate Cameron Maybin, put Yonder Alonso on DL

4 Comments

UPDATE: Change of plans. Yonder Alonso’s hand injury hasn’t gotten any better, so the Padres announced that they’re placing him on the DL to make room for Maybin and Blanks will stick around.

==========

San Diego center fielder Cameron Maybin is off the disabled list after missing nearly two months with a wrist injury and to make room on the roster the Padres demoted Kyle Blanks to Triple-A.

Based strictly on performance it’s tough to argue that Blanks deserves the trip back to the minors, as his .796 OPS in 36 games ranks second on the entire Padres team behind only Carlos Quentin at .816. However, with Quentin and Maybin starting every day in the outfield the Padres would apparently rather use Chris Denorfia as the right-handed-hitting platoon partner for Will Venable.

Blanks is hurt by having a minor-league option remaining, but it’s hard to imagine the Padres not calling him back up relatively soon. As for Maybin, he was very productive on a nine-game rehab assignment, but was struggling before being placed on the DL and has hit just .233 with a .633 OPS in 157 games since the beginning of last season.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
8 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.