Bud Selig

Source: Major League Baseball has not yet decided to discipline Biogenesis players

50 Comments

A source familiar with the Biogenesis investigation tells HardballTalk that Major League Baseball plans to interview all of the players implicated in the Biogenesis scandal by the end of June. Then, at that point, it will make a decision on whether to pursue discipline and how. The plan is for discipline to be leveled — if it is, indeed, leveled — by the first week of July.  Pursuant to the Joint Drug Agreement players will then have the right to appeal if discipline is imposed.

This information confirms ESPN’s Outside the Lines report from last night that Major League Baseball’s  investigation of Biogenesis is proceeding. However, any speculation that Major League Baseball has already decided to discipline the players implicated in the Biogenesis scandal or that it has already decided to impose any specific penalties, be they 50- or 100-game suspensions, was premature. The league’s investigation is being assisted by clinic founder Tony Bosch, the source confirmed.

When contacted by HardballTalk, Major League Baseball officials did not comment on the story.

Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees, 2011 NL MVP Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers and Melky Cabrera of the Toronto Blue Jays – who received a 50-game suspension last season for the use of PEDs – are among the 20 players reportedly being targeted by MLB.

Braun issued a stern denial this morning, while Cabrera told USA Today Sports: “I don’t know anything about it. This is the first I hear of it. If they suspend me again, I think that would be a harsh punishment because I already served my sentence. But it’s up to them.”

Rodriguez, once considered a threat to break the sport’s all-time home run record, admitted to ESPN four years ago that he used performance-enhancing drugs earlier in his career, when he played for the Texas Rangers.

Report: Mariners acquire Chris Heston from the Giants

1 Comment

Jon Morosi of MLB Network and FOX Sports reports that the Mariners have acquired starter Chris Heston from the Giants. The Giants will receive a player to be named later, per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

Heston, 28, logged only five innings in the majors this past season as he battled an oblique injury and otherwise spent most of his time with Triple-A Sacramento. Heston was solid out of the Giants’ rotation in 2015, posting a 3.95 ERA with a 141/64 K/BB ratio in 177 2/3 innings over 31 starts.

Heston will be under team control through 2021. He’ll provide depth for the Mariners’ rotation in the meantime.

Joe Nathan wants to pitch in 2017

DETROIT, MI - AUGUST 16: Joe Nathan #36 of the Detroit Tigers pitches in the ninth inning of the game against the Seattle Mariners at Comerica Park on August 16, 2014 in Detroit, Michigan. The Tigers defeated the Mariners 4-2.  (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)
Leon Halip/Getty Images
2 Comments

Joe Nathan‘s agent, David Pepe, says his client wants to pitch in 2017, per ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick. “He’s like the Energizer Bunny,” Pepe said.

Nathan, 42, came back from Tommy John surgery in July, pitching two scoreless innings for the Cubs with four strikeouts and two walks. The Cubs released him and the Giants picked him up, and Nathan went on to pitch 4 1/3 scoreless innings down the stretch with five strikeouts and two walks.

According to FanGraphs, Nathan’s velocity wasn’t where it used to be, which is to be expected of a pitcher in his 40’s coming back from major elbow surgery. Still, with teams always on the hunt for bullpen depth, it would be shocking if Nathan didn’t get any bites before spring training starts.