Camden Yards assault victim’s condition deteriorates

79 Comments

Bad news from Baltimore. The condition of Mathew Fortese, the man who was attacked by two fans during last week’s Nats-Orioles game has grown worse. The report from WBAL:

Baltimore police said the condition of a man who was knocked unconscious after he was punched and fell during a baseball game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards last week has gotten worse … Police said Fortese suffered a skull fracture. He was taken to Shock Trauma, where he was initially listed in serious condition.  He was downgraded to critical condition Monday evening, Shock Trauma officials said.

The two men who attacked Fortese are Gregory Fleischman and Michael Bell. They were charged with first- and second-degree assault and disorderly conduct and second-degree assault and disorderly conduct, respectively. Here’s hoping for Fortese’s sake and fate that the charges won’t need to be revised upward.

Red Sox Triple-A team to ban people named Tyler and Austin from stadium on May 5 and 6 as part of promotion

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Pawtucket Red Sox, obviously the Triple-A affiliate of the Red Sox, have come up with an interesting promotion for the weekend of May 5 and 6, when they host the Yankees’ Triple-A team from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

This, of course, references last week’s benches-clearing fracas between the Red Sox and Yankees that involved Joe Kelly and Tyler Austin. Kelly slid hard into second base, which upset Brock Holt. The benches emptied as the two jawed at each other, but no punches were thrown. Later in the game, Kelly threw at Austin and the benches emptied again. Punches were thrown this time and both players were given suspensions.

The major league Red Sox visit the Yankees May 8-10. As far as we’re aware, people named Joe or Kelly are allowed to attend.