Yesterday was the AL, today the Senior Circuit. Here are the vote leaders by position:
- First Base: Joey Votto, 1,044,742
- Second Base: Brandon Phillips, 1,019,240
- Third Base: Pablo Sandoval, 1,094,475
- Shortstop: Troy Tulowitzki, 1,025,844
- Outfield: Justin Upton, 1,184,249, Bryce Harper, 1,182,532, Ryan Braun 945,665
- Catcher: Buster Posey, 1,275,956
They don’t do DH balloting in the NL, obviously. All of the vote totals can be seen here.
While the Reds and Giants are more than well-represented in the top slots, I feel like there is some Braves ballot-box stuffing going on too. Dan Uggla is the fifth place second baseman. Some 400,000+ people think B.J. Upton deserves to be in the All-Star Game. That’s worse than voting for an immobile and inactive Derek Jeter. At least Jeter would play well if he could, you know, walk.
No one is particularly close to Votto, Phillips, Tulowitzki, or Posey. David Wright is within striking distance of Sandoval. Carlos Beltran is a pretty strong fourth outfielder at the moment. If I remember correctly, Cardinals players surged in later vote tabulations last year, so maybe there’s hope for him and Molina and others.