In the book “Moneyball,” Mark Teahen was described as someone who had the potential to be the next Jason Giambi. While the first Jason Giambi continues to draw a big league paycheck, however, Mark Teahen is out of work:
Mark Teahen’s 2013 baseball odyssey took another turn Monday, as the Yucaipa High product was released by the Round Rock Express, triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Teahen batted .171 (6 for 35) with two RBIs in 10 games this season with Round Rock.
Teahen — who hit .290 and had 18 home runs in 109 games for the Royals back in 2006 — never managed to put it together. He hasn’t been in the bigs since 2011. This season alone he was with the Dbacks organization, was traded to the Reds, who promptly sent him back to Arizona after he failed a physical, and then fizzled at Round Rock for the Rangers.
Hard to see how this is anything other than the end of the line for the guy.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.