Rays left-hander David Price is eligible to return from the disabled list on Friday. But that will not happen.
According to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune, Price is beginning to feel better but has not begun a throwing program and is still at least a couple weeks away from stepping back atop a mound. He’s been out since May 15 with a strained left triceps muscle.
“I honestly have no idea,” Price told reporters when asked to project a possible date for his return. “You have to give it a chance to heal, a chance to get better, and that’s what we’re doing right now.”
Jake Odorizzi will continue to fill in for now. If he struggles, Chris Archer is probably next in line.
Price, 27, had a 5.24 ERA, 1.44 WHIP and 49/14 K/BB ratio in 55 innings (nine starts) before suffering his triceps injury. He posted a 2.56 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 205/59 K/BB ratio across 211 innings in 2012.
The Rays entered play Sunday with a 24-24 record, six games back in the American League East.
Mets right-hander Matt Harvey is heading to the bullpen, according to comments made by club manager Mickey Callaway on Saturday. As predicted, Harvey doesn’t appear to be taking the news particularly well, going so far as to tell Callaway that the decision has him “at a 10 with being pissed off” and that he’s motivated to prove himself as a starter.
It’s been rough going for Harvey this spring. After missing significant time to a shoulder injury last season, the 29-year-old righty returned to the mound with a lot left to prove. He pitched to an 0-2 record in four starts, issuing 14 runs, four home runs and 17 strikeouts in 21 innings. It’s been a while since the Mets have seen anything better out of their starter — he hasn’t turned in a sub-4.00 ERA since 2015 and hasn’t pitched well enough to earn an All-Star berth since 2013 — and now it appears they’re at the end of their rope.
At this point, the Mets insist that the shift is a temporary one. While Callaway has helped successfully convert several starters to the bullpen, including Trevor Bauer and Carlos Carrasco, that’s not the plan for this veteran right-hander. Instead, both the team and Harvey seem to view the change as a way to clear up any mental blocks Harvey may be encountering on the mound. “We know he’s healthy,” assistant GM John Ricco told reporters. “He’s feeling good. Then you get to, is this a little bit of a mental thing, a confidence thing? One of the things we talk about is getting him into the ‘pen, where he can have success in short spurts, get that confidence back and really let it go and get back to being a guy who can dominate the way he’s shown in the past.”
Harvey will be eligible to pitch out of the bullpen on Tuesday, when the Mets are scheduled to kick off their next road series against the Cardinals. As for his replacement, left-hander Jason Vargas will resume his role in the rotation when he comes off the disabled list next Saturday.