Lynn Henning of the Detroit News has an update on center fielder Austin Jackson’s slow-moving rehabilitation from a strained left hamstring:
“Threw today,” Jackson said Friday as he made it clear he will not be returning quickly from a left hamstring that began acting up two weeks ago and placed him on the disabled list May 12.
He is also preparing to hit a baseball from a tee. But it could be a while before Jackson returns to regular duty, which the hamstring-club membership understands as being part of a long, tedious vigil.
Jackson was eligible for activation on Saturday, but it sounds like he’s at least two weeks away from being ready for live major league games. He first has to be cleared for running and to swing a bat, then comes batting practice, and then he will probably head out on a short minor league rehab assignment.
The 26-year-old was hitting .272/.333/.371 with two homers, five stolen bases, 33 runs scored and 11 RBI in 34 games before suffering the hamstring strain. He hit .300/.377/.479 in 137 games last season.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.