Entering tonight’s game against the Tigers, Mitch Moreland has a .921 OPS with ten home runs and has arguably been the Rangers’ most dangerous hitter thus far in the 2013 season. Going into the season, first base was assumed to be a weak spot for the Rangers as Moreland had been more or less average offensively despite seeing right-handed pitching an overwhelming majority of the time.
As Gil Lebreton of the Star-Telegram points out, members of the media weren’t the only ones who slept on Moreland. Even the Rangers themselves were looking elsewhere for first base options, only to settle on Moreland when none of them materialized.
But the truth is that they’re probably just as taken aback as us media heathens by Moreland’s current rampage. They’ve been shopping for a “real” first baseman, truth be told, since the latter half of 2011, when Moreland hit .241 and only five home runs. In the postseason that year, Moreland had only three hits in 29 at-bats.
Even after signing free-agent pitcher Yu Darvish from Japan, a $111-million investment, the Rangers were reported to be avid suitors of free agent Fielder. His courtship lingered into the third week of January, 2012.
Rangers fans will wince at the memory of this, but part of the hangup was Josh Hamilton, himself a future free agent.
Lebreton also warns, however, that Moreland also had good stats through May 18 in the past two seasons as well, perhaps a harbinger of things to come.
Jon Heyman reports that the Cardinals do not plan to exercise Matt Holliday‘s $17 million option for 2017.
And, not surprisingly, will not extend him a similarly priced qualifying offer, either.
Holliday will be 37 when spring training begins and he is finishing his worst season as a major leaguer, having hit .242/.318/.450 with 19 homers over 424 plate appearances.
Injuries have not helped him — he’s missed the last six weeks with a fractured thumb — but it’s not like guys het healthier the older they get. Holliday will likely be looking at a massive pay cut for next year and a competition to make an Opening Day roster.
The Blue Jays are poised to make the playoffs for the second year in a row and are playing a critical series with the Orioles, the outcome of which will likely determine who gets to play at home for that one-and-done game next week. Big stakes! Must keep focused!
Or, alternatively, maybe it’s time to have a silly, juvenile feud with the press. Here’s Steve Buffery of the Toronto Sun, asking why the Jays are doing stuff like this while fighting for the playoffs:
Why, for example, would the leaders on the team allow someone to put up on a wall photos of two Toronto sports writers with an ‘X’ scratched on their face and the a message written on top reading, ‘Do not grant them interviews’ (or words to that effect)? . . . Things like: Someone cranking up the music just when the media arrives to conduct pre-game interviews.
Not that the Jays have been treated wonderfully by the press themselves:
There was an incident the other night when a couple of journalists tried to corral struggling closer Roberto Osuna for an interview, but he kept blowing them off. Finally, one reporter followed him right into a private part of the clubhouse and told him off.
That’s . . . not what you’re supposed to do.
Still, there is zero point to get into silly feuds with the media. If they overstep their bounds, there are a TON of Jays officials and, I suspect, newspaper editors, who will quickly and eagerly discipline the reporter. You don’t have to make wanted posters and act like children. Partially because it’s just a bad look. But also, because it leads to news stories about it like the one in the Toronto Sun.