melky getty

Melky Cabrera receives 2012 World Series ring … privately


Andrew Baggarly of has the story from Rogers Centre:

Giants managerBruce Bochy presented the four-month sensation turned disgraced outfielder with the signature baby blue Tiffany bag. The exchange was made where lenses and note pads couldn’t go, in a tunnel between the two clubhouses – a private affair, which is what Cabrera wanted.

“It’s not like we had a plan,” Bochy said. “Between him wanting to get ready for the game and having a preference for a more private deal, that was up to him.”

It didn’t last long. Bochy and PR official Matt Chisholm reappeared barely a minute later. Cabrera thanked the Giants, thanked Bochy, offered the manager a hug and took possession of the bag without stopping to open it.

Cabrera batted .346/.390/.516 with 11 homers and 60 RBI in 113 games last season for the Giants before getting busted in mid-August for a positive testosterone test. The 28-year-old signed a two-year, $16 million free agent contract with the Blue Jays this winter and is hitting .261/.298/.338 through his first 39 games.

Indians promote Chris Antonetti to President, name new GM

Chris Antonetti
Leave a comment

In the seemingly never-ending trend of front office officials getting new titles, the Cleveland Indians just announced that General Manager Chris Antonetti has been promoted to President of Baseball Operations and Mike Chernoff is now the GM.

Antonetti has been the Tribe’s GM for the past five years and is moving up in the wake of team president Mark Shapiro moving on to Toronto. Shapiro, however, also held business side responsibilities which Antonetti will not assume. Meaning, as before, he will be the top guy on baseball ops decisions, albeit with a grander title.

Chernoff has been an assistant GM for five years and has been with the organization for the past 12 years. As many new GMs these days he will, functionally speaking, still be an assistant when it comes to baseball decisions.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.