Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera had a mini argument Saturday in front of media and fans

49 Comments

From Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News:

Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera exchanged tense words in the dugout before Saturday night’s game, as Chamberlain took exception to Rivera instructing him to quiet down while the closer chatted with reporters about an emotional event he had held earlier in the day with several local families.

“Don’t ever shush me again,” Chamberlain told Rivera in full view of reporters and fans.

You’re gonna want to read that entire Daily News article for the full context of what went down. Basically, Chamberlain was signing autographs for fans at the top of the dugout railing and interacting with them loudly while Rivera was trying to conduct an interview about a charity in the dugout below. “Joba! Yo! Bro!” Rivera shouted. “Shhh. Stop it.” And that’s when Joba got pissy.

“We’ll take care of it,” Rivera told reporters later, after noting that he had not yet spoken to Chamberlain about the incident. “We’re grownups and I know better than that. We’ll take care of that.”

**************************

An update this morning from Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger:

 

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.