Zack Greinke makes rehab start, on track to join reeling Dodgers on Wednesday

1 Comment

The high-priced Dodgers dropped their eighth straight game last night against the Marlins and currently sit in last place in the National League West with a disappointing 13-21 record, but there is some help on the way.

Zack Greinke allowed eight runs (three earned) in 4 1/3 innings last night in a minor league rehab start with High-A Rancho Cucamonga. It was his first game action since he suffered a broken collarbone in a benches-clearing brawl with Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin on April 11.

The results weren’t great, but it’s tough to put too much stock into them since Greinke’s defense committed three errors. The good news is that he struck out three without issuing a walk and didn’t have any discomfort with the collarbone. According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Greinke feels that he’s ready to rejoin the Dodgers’ rotation.

“I am,” Greinke said when asked if he was ready to be activated. “I won’t be in midseason form, but I feel I’m able to get guys out.

“I just have to get my right arm ready. I’ll definitely head somewhere. I can’t say [where] without talking to somebody. I’m sure they’d rather me pitch better than the results. I felt I pitched OK. Get the lights of a Major League game and it’s different, you step up another notch.”

The Dodgers haven’t made an official announcement yet, but Greinke is currently lined up to face the Nationals on Wednesday at Dodger Stadium. The 29-year-old was originally expected to miss 6-8 weeks after surgery, but if activated Wednesday, he’ll have made it back in just over four weeks.

Six-year old boy reports the Indians want to give Francisco Lindor a seven-year contract

2 Comments

The substance of the report is not shocking. Francisco Lindor is one of baseball’s brightest young stars and the Cleveland Indians would, no doubt, wish to lock him up for an extended period of time. The surprising part is the guy who reported that, yes, the Indians are working to get Lindor a seven-year extension.

That guy: six-year-old Brody Chernoff, son of Indians general manager Mike Chernoff. Brody was invited into the team’s broadcast booth during the ninth inning of their game against the Chicago White Sox. Indians announcer Tom Hamilton asked, no doubt jokingly, if his working on anything interesting. Brody:

“He’s trying to get, um, Lindor to play for seven more years,”

Again, not shocking. It would’ve been way worse if Brody had said “Dad’s working on a three-way deal that’ll send Naquin to an NL team in order to affect a three-way trade that’ll land us Verlander without having to deal directly with a divisional rival.” But I imagine Dad still would’ve preferred he not mention that.

Watch:

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.