Not only did Angel Hernandez botch the call on that home run/double last night, but he’s not been particularly forthcoming about it after the fact. Check this out from the San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser:
As Slusser notes in subsequent tweets, this is baffling, inasmuch as reporters recording interviews is actually a benefit to the interview subject. If the reporter screws up, he or she is accountable and there is a clear record of what was actually said. I know Angel Hernandez is not big on accountability and getting things right via technology, but this is just strange.
Well, maybe not too strange. There is at least some reason why someone may not want their interview recorded:
Creating situations in which there is deniability is something an insecure person does. And if you’ve watched Angel Hernandez’s behavior when he gets in arguments with managers and players, you can tell he reeks of insecurity. Umpires who stand by their calls don’t get mad and touchy like he does. Umpires who know they screwed up don’t either. They either admit it or at least let the manager say what he wants so as not to compound the issue. Hernandez does neither of those things.
So, MLB is going to step in and make Hernandez explain himself, yes?
There is no transparency or apparent accountability for umpires. This is totally unacceptable. It’s one area where the NFL gets things right and baseball simply doesn’t. It has to change.
Hanley Ramirez played a pivotal role during the Red Sox’ 9-4 win over the Angels on Friday night, crushing a two-run homer off of Alex Meyer to bring the Sox up to a four-run lead in the fourth inning.
Well, crushed might be the wrong word. The ball cleared the right field fence with a mere 350 feet, landing just beyond Pesky’s Pole to bring Ramirez’s career home run total to an even 250.
According to the ESPN Home Run Tracker, Ramirez’s milestone blast wasn’t the shortest home run of the year — not by a long shot. That distinction currently belongs to Rays’ outfielder Corey Dickerson, who skimmed the left field fence at Rogers Centre with a 326-foot homer back in April.
It’s shortstop or bust for Asdrubal Cabrera, who told reporters Friday that he will request a trade from the Mets after getting bumped to second base (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Cabrera served as the club’s starting shortstop through the first few months of the 2017 season, but lost the role to Jose Reyes while serving a stint on the 10-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb. The switch was confirmed prior to the Mets’ series opener against the Giants on Friday, prompting Cabrera to announce his trade request before taking the field.
Per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Personally, I’m not really happy with that move,” Cabrera said. “If they have that plan, they should have told me before I came over here. I just told my agent about it. If they have that plan for me, I think it’s time to make a move. What I saw the last couple of weeks, I don’t think they have any plans for me. I told my agent, so we’re going to see what happens in the next couple weeks.
Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson appeared skeptical of Cabrera’s request, telling reporters that he wasn’t sure a trade was “something [Cabrera] really wishes” and saying the team would wait and see how the situation shakes out. That doesn’t mean the veteran infielder will see a return to short anytime soon, however, only that he might have a change of heart after settling into his new role.
This isn’t the first time Cabrera has balked at a position change. The Mets reportedly considered shifting him to third base earlier this season, but ultimately decided to keep him at short and denied his request to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2018, something Alderson said has little to no precedent. Further changes may be on the horizon when 21-year-old infield prospect Amed Rosario gets called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and second baseman Neil Walker returns from the disabled list, though the team has yet to address either situation.