28-year-old woman chokes on hot dog at Cubs game, dies

64 Comments

Maureen Oleskiewicz died Tuesday morning at Illinois Masonic Hospital after choking on a hot dog at Wrigley Field prior to Sunday’s Reds-Cubs game, NBCChicago.com reports.

The 28-year-old junior high school teacher lost consciousness and fell into the row in front of her during the national anthem Sunday. Her brother, who attended the game with her, said no one had noticed her choking. She had no pulse as aid was rendered, and she never regained consciousness after being taken to the hospital.

Oleskiewicz was an organ donor, and the family took some solace in the fact that her heart is going to a 14-year-old.

The Cubs released a statement Wednesday:

“We are saddened to hear news of the untimely death of Maureen Oleskiewicz.  We express our deepest sympathy to her family and friends.  We will continue to keep her family in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.”

Addison Russell had an allergic reaction to something he ate from the postgame spread

Stacy Revere/Getty Images
4 Comments

Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Cubs shortstop Addison Russell stayed overnight in Denver after having an allergic reaction to something he ate from the postgame spread in the clubhouse at Coors Field after Sunday afternoon’s game. Russell spent a couple of hours at a hospital in Denver for observation on Sunday night.

Russell has a shellfish allergy and believes something he ate might have been mistakenly labeled as not having shrimp in it.

The Cubs took two of three games from the Rockies. After Monday’s day off, the Cubs open a brief two-game series in Cleveland for a rematch of the 2016 World Series. Russell flew with the team to Cleveland and believes he will be in good enough shape to play on Tuesday.

Russell, 24, has had a slow start to the season. He’s hitting .219/.324/.281 across 74 plate appearances.