Day: April 29, 2013

Giancarlo Stanton AP

Giancarlo Stanton exits game with strained right hamstring


Giancarlo Stanton was finally starting to come around with the bat over the past few days, but he could now be looking at an extended absence.

According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, Stanton left tonight’s game against the Mets with a strained right hamstring. The young slugger suffered the injury when he tried to beat out a tapper in front of the plate in the bottom of the tenth inning. After he crossed the bag and was called out, he quickly grabbed at the back of his right leg and fell down in a heap. Not a pretty sight.

The Marlins were dead-last in the majors in runs, batting average, slugging percentage, OPS and home runs coming into play tonight and things don’t figure to get any better without the only legitimate threat in their lineup.

White Sox acquire outfielder Casper Wells from Athletics

Casper Wells AP
1 Comment

Casper Wells is on the move again, as the White Sox have acquired him from the Athletics for cash considerations.

Wells is now with his fourth organization in the past month. His journey began when the Blue Jays claimed him off waivers from the Mariners after he lost out to Jason Bay for a roster spot during spring training. However, he was designated for assignment five days later. The Athletics acquired him from the Blue Jays for cash considerations just one week ago, but he was designated for assignment again yesterday when Yoenis Cespedes was activated from the disabled list. He could be a useful reserve outfielder with Chicago, but he probably shouldn’t get too comfortable.

Wells, 28, went 0-for-5 in three games with the Athletics. He owns a .244/.314/.431 career batting line and a .746 OPS, including an .827 OPS against southpaws.

Stephen Strasburg dealing with forearm tightness

Nationals starting pitcher Strasburg throws to the Mets in the second inning of their MLB National League game in New York

Here’s something Nationals fans don’t want to hear.

According to Mark Zuckerman of, Nationals manager Davey Johnson said after tonight’s game that Stephen Strasburg is currently dealing with right forearm tightness. Strasburg allowed two runs on six hits and four walks over six innings tonight as part of a no-decision in a 3-2 loss to the Braves.

Of course, Strasburg underwent Tommy John surgery in September of 2010 and missed nearly one year of action. The Nationals infamously shut him down last year after 159 1/3 innings in his first full season back from surgery. While the shutdown was aimed at keeping him healthy for the long-term, there was no way to know whether the team’s approach would prove successful. Mike Rizzo and company are crossing their fingers right now.

Strasburg is currently being examined by a doctor while Johnson said that it’s too soon to say whether he’ll be available for his next scheduled start. However, given his previous Tommy John surgery and his importance to the rotation, one would think that he would get a bit of a break even if the issue is deemed minor. The Nationals could use Zach Duke for a spot-start.

UPDATE: Stephen Strasburg told Mark Zuckerman of that his arm feels fine and that he will not miss a start. While it’s nice to hear that he’s upbeat about the situation, the Nationals may have other plans.

Dodgers activate Hanley Ramirez, place Clayton Kershaw on bereavement list

dodgers logo

Prior to tonight’s game, the Dodgers announced that shortstop Hanley Ramirez was activated from the 15-day disabled list while left-hander Clayton Kershaw was placed on the bereavement list.

Ramirez, who had surgery on March 22 to repair a torn thumb ligament, went 3-for-6 with a double and three RBI during a brief two-game rehab assignment with Triple-A Albuquerque. He is available off the bench tonight and will likely be in the lineup tomorrow for his Bobblehead Night. Nice timing.

Kershaw can remain on the bereavement list for a minimum of three days and a maximum of seven. According to Ken Gurnick of, he is still likely to make his next scheduled start Friday against the Giants in San Francisco.

Freddy Garcia agrees to remain with Orioles’ Triple-A affiliate

Freddy Garcia AP
1 Comment

Freddy Garcia’s minor league deal with the Orioles gave him the ability to opt out if he wasn’t called up to the majors by his fifth start with Triple-A Norfolk, but MASNSports’ Roch Kubatko reports that he has agreed to stick around until May 14. In other words, the Orioles have bought themselves another two weeks.

Garcia was released by the Padres after a poor showing during spring training, but he has pitched well so far at the Triple-A level. Through five starts, the 36-year-old right-hander has a 2.67 ERA and 21/2 K/BB ratio over 33 2/3 innings.

Garcia was passed up for a start last week in favor of Josh Stinson, but there could be an opportunity for him with the big club in the coming days. Of course, if he keeps pitching well in Triple-A and the Orioles don’t call him up, he probably wouldn’t have a problem finding an opportunity elsewhere.