While the Dodgers could be without Mark Ellis for a while, Hanley Ramirez’s return is right around the corner.
According to Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles, Ramirez is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment today with High-A Rancho Cucamonga. His rehab stint is expected to consist of at least three games, but he could be activated as soon as Tuesday against the Rockies if all goes well. Tuesday has been his stated goal for a few weeks now, as it is Hanley Ramirez bobblehead day at Dodger Stadium. Hey, whatever works.
Ramirez required surgery after he tore the ligament in his right thumb in the World Baseball Classic title game on March 19. He was originally expected to miss around eight weeks, so he’s on pace to return well ahead of schedule.
Ramirez, 29, batted .257/.322/.437 with 24 home runs, 92 RBI, 21 stolen bases and a .759 OPS in 157 games last season between Los Angeles and Miami. Justin Sellers has drawn the majority of the starts at shortstop during his absence.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.