derek jeter getty

Derek Jeter: “I have no doubt I’ll be back”

22 Comments

Derek Jeter met with the media a few minutes ago. No new news was broken. This was mostly Jeter reminding everyone that, yes, he’s still alive. Among his comments, which I’m getting from various Yankees beat writers Twitter feeds:

Jeter said recovering from his broken ankle has been a “difficult” and “frustrating” process that “unfortunately has taken longer than expected.” He said, however, that “I have no doubt I’ll be back,” though he and the Yankees are declining to give a timeline, because “last timeline I set I didn’t make. I don’t want to disappoint myself.” But he does not regret setting a goal of returning Opening Day, even if it didn’t work out. He said he “never had any doubt” that he’d come back, even if it hasn’t worked out the way he expected it to.

He said “as soon as I can play, I’ll play.” And though he won’t reveal a return date, he has one in mind.  I guess everyone has to have goals.

Finally, he was asked if he’d watched many Yankees games. He said no because “I don’t have the MLB package at my house.” Which means that there is now, officially, one thing I have over Derek Jeter in my life. Only one, but I’ll take it.

Even if nothing exactly newsworthy came out of this presser, it was probably wise for Jeter and the Yankees to have it. Whether they intended it or not, there has been an air of secrecy about his status. Even some deception, actually, as Jeter’s setback was first described by the team as “not a setback.”

It’s like Jeter is some mysterious head of state about whom no one dares say anything negative.  At some point you have to hear from him, ya know?

Blue Jays sign Steve Pearce to a two-year deal

NEW YORK - MAY 09: Steve Pearce #28 of the Baltimore Orioles looks on from the dugout during the game against the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium on May 9, 2015 in the Bronx borough of New York City. (Photo by Rob Tringali/SportsChrome/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that the Blue Jays have signed Steve Pearce to a two-year deal worth $12.5 million.

Pearce, 33 had some health issues in 2016, but he hit .288/.374/.492 across 302 plate appearances when he was on the field and he mashes lefties in particular. Pearce is versatile as well, logging time at first base, second base, right field, left field, and DH in 2016 while splitting time between the Rays and Orioles.

Jung Ho Kang’s DUI arrest was his third since 2009

PITTSBURGH, PA - JUNE 10:  Jung Ho Kang #27 of the Pittsburgh Pirates fields a ground ball in the second inning during the game against the St. Louis Cardinals at PNC Park on June 10, 2016 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Last week Pirates infielder Jung Ho Kang was arrested in South Korea for driving under the influence of alcohol and leaving the scene of an accident. That’s bad, but it turns out that it’s nothing new. The Yonhapnews Agency reports that Kang has been arrested for DUI three times since 2009:

Gangnam Police Station in southern Seoul confirmed that it was Kang’s third DUI arrest, with the three strikes law resulting in the immediate revocation of his license. According to police, Kang had also been arrested for a DUI in August 2009 and May 2011. No personal injuries were reported in either case, though he’d caused property damage in the latter incident.

The report also notes that a companion of Kang initially claimed that he, and not Kang, was behind the wheel at the time of the accident which led to Kang’s arrest last week. It was later revealed by the car’s black box, however, that Kang was driving. So add in some obstruction of justice, whether it is charged or not, to the scene. Police are investigating that.

Between all of this and the fact that Kang is under investigation for an alleged sexual assault in Chicago this past season, a pretty ugly portrait of the Pirates’ infielder is beginning to reveal itself.