If you think the Rangers beat writers can’t let things go, get a load of Carl Crawford talking to Paul White of USA Today about the sadz he had in Boston:
“I don’t think I smiled in two years,” the Dodgers outfielder tells USA TODAY Sports of his time on a troubled team in Boston. “I was just frowning, I started growing grey hairs on my face from the stress and everything for two years straight”
As the pic to the right suggests, he’s not being totally honest here. He was smiling pretty damn big when the Red Sox gave him that nine-figure deal.
Anyway, I’m picturing a musical montage of sad Crawford set to “Don’t Give Up” by Peter Gabriel or something. I’m also picturing a room full of all the people on the planet who have any real sympathy for Carl Crawford’s ordeal in Boston. Pretty small room. This is hanging high on the back wall:
Sure, it sucks that he got hurt and stuff, but really Carl, your trials and tribulations were bearable I reckon.
(link via BTF)
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.