Dale Sveum suggests that Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo could be sent to Triple-A Iowa

17 Comments

Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune has the story:

Could the Cubs send Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo back to the minors for more grooming?

It doesn’t seem possible considering their status as part of the core of the rebuild, not to mention the seven-year contract extension Castro received last year.

But before Sunday’s finale against Milwaukee, manager Dale Sveum, who lost his voice shouting at ump Chris Guccione on Friday, hinted it was indeed possible.

“If people keep playing like that, you have to find options,” Sveum told reporters on Sunday afternoon. “Give people playing time at Triple-A to figure this stuff out. … The bottom line is you have to perform. Whether you need more development or you decide all those kind of things. There’s still that accountability. … Many, many people throughout the history of the game (have been demoted back to the minor leagues).”

Castro, 23, entered play Sunday batting .304 with an .802 OPS, but he has struggled defensively at shortstop. Rizzo, who’s also 23, is hitting .190 with a .299 on-base percentage through 67 plate appearances.

All that said, this feels like more of an attempt at a wake up call by Sveum than any real threat.

Sean Manaea pitches the first no-hitter of 2018

Getty Images
9 Comments

Athletics southpaw Sean Manaea delivered his first career no-hitter against the Red Sox in a decisive 3-0 victory on Saturday night. Any thought of a perfect game was banished in the first at-bat, when Mookie Betts drew a leadoff six-pitch walk to open the first inning. From there, Manaea was nearly flawless, holding the Sox to four total baserunners and striking out 10 of 30 batters faced — a career record.

Manaea was gifted a three-run lead thanks to RBI doubles from Jed Lowrie and Stephen Piscotty and Marcus Semien‘s solo shot off of Chris Sale in the fifth inning. While the Red Sox managed to draw two walks off of Manaea, they didn’t come anywhere close to plating a run. Andrew Benintendi tried to break up the no-no in the sixth inning with an infield hit down the first base line, but strayed out of bounds and later saw his hit reversed on a call of batter interference.

Entering the ninth inning, the 26-year-old lefty was sitting at just 95 pitches through eight frames of no-hit ball. He quickly deposed Blake Swihart and Mookie Betts with a groundout and fly out, then walked Benintendi on seven pitches. Any threat the Red Sox might have posed was soon eliminated, however, as Hanley Ramirez ground into a force out to complete the no-hitter.

Manaea is the first A’s pitcher to toss a no-no since Dallas Braden’s perfect game against the Rays eight years ago. The last time the Red Sox were on the losing end of a no-hitter was also against an AL West rival, when the Mariners’ Chris Bosio clinched a 2-0 no-no on April 22, 1993. Manaea’s feat is even more outstanding given how dominant the Red Sox have looked this season: prior to Saturday’s defeat, they boasted a 17-2 record and had yet to be shut out during the regular season.