Stephen Drew’s return from a concussion meant that Jose Iglesias was out of a starting job and rather than keep the 23-year-old around as a bench player the Red Sox decided to send him back to Triple-A for regular playing time.
Boston also placed John Lackey on the disabled list, which was expected after he exited Saturday’s start with what appeared to be a serious arm injury and was later diagnosed as “only” a strained biceps. Either way, he’ll miss at least a few starts and Alfredo Aceves has been moved from the bullpen to the rotation to fill in.
Alex Wilson, who was the Red Sox’s second-round pick in 2009, will make his big-league debut after being called up to provide some bullpen depth.
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Orioles and Mets have discussed a trade for Matt Harvey.
Rosenthal says the discussions have involved a reliever going back to New York and observes that that Harvey and Brad Brach are projected for similar salaries in their final arbitration years which could make a financial match.
There have been a handful of Harvey rumors over the past couple of days, with a report coming out yesterday that the Mets have spoken with at least two teams about their fallen ace. Jon Heyman said today that the Rangers may have been one of those teams. Maybe the Orioles are the second or, perhaps, the third?
All if this has to be pretty deflating if you’re a Mets fan, given the promise and dominance Harvey showed before injuries waylaid him the past two seasons. Harvey is still just 28 but he made only 18 starts and one relief appearance last year, posting a 6.70 ERA with a 67/47 K/BB ratio in 92.2 innings.
If the Mets can’t find a trade partner this winter, they’ll clearly hope for him to rebound at least a little bit in 2018, allowing him to regain some trade value.