Nolan Ryan will remain the Rangers’ CEO

12 Comments

There has been speculation over the past several weeks that Nolan Ryan might leave his executive post with the Rangers. Ryan felt like his role was being diminished and that he no longer had much say in club decisions. But all is suddenly well.

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that Ryan agreed Wednesday to “stay with the club for the foreseeable future.” He will retain the title of CEO and general manager Jon Daniels will serve as the Rangers’ president of baseball operations. Rick George will be president of business operations.

Recent reports suggested that Ryan was fully prepared to leave, but that could have been a negotiating tactic. The 66-year-old Hall of Famer has been a member of the Texas front office since 2008.

Here’s the official press release from principal owners Ray Davis and Bob Simpson:

“We’ve had meaningful conversations with Nolan Ryan over the past several weeks and are pleased that our focus is now on working together to win a championship for our fans. Over the years Nolan has made extraordinary contributions to the Texas Rangers organization, both on and off the field, including providing valuable guidance to Jon Daniels and Rick George. His leadership as our chief executive — with both baseball and business operations reporting to him — has been vital to our success and offers us a bright future.”

And a short written statement from Ryan, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

“After productive discussions the last several weeks with Ray Davis and Bob Simpson about the structure of our organization, together we are moving forward. In my role as CEO, I am focused on working closely with ownership and with Jon Daniels and Rick George to build on the success of the past five years and to bring a championship to Arlington.”

The Rangers lost 2-0 to the Rays on Wednesday afternoon and are 6-3 on the young season.

J.D. Martinez tells teams he prefers an outfield role

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.

That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.

Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.