Jason Kipnis tables extension talks with Indians

1 Comment

There was a report last month that the Indians were discussing a multi-year contract extension with Jason Kipnis, but the second baseman told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer today that talks have stopped for the time being.

“Once the regular season started, the negotiations stopped,” said Kipnis before Friday’s game against the Rays. “We didn’t want the distraction during the season. I think they felt the same way.”

Kipnis barely has one year of major league service under his belt and likely won’t qualify for arbitration for the first time until after the 2014 season, so there isn’t a huge sense of urgency to get a deal done right now. However, the Indians clearly view him as a big part of their future. The 26-year-old batted .255/.335/.379 with 14 home runs, 76 RBI, 31 stolen bases and a .714 OPS in 152 games last season. He plans to talk with the club again after the season.

The Indians were also reportedly discussing an extension with left fielder Michael Brantley, but it’s not clear if those talks have also been tabled.

Nationals place Anthony Rendon on disabled list

Rob Carr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Nationals announced that third baseman Anthony Rendon has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 19, with a toe contusion. Pitcher Austin Adams was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse.

Rendon fouled a pitch off of his foot on April 13 in a game against the Rockies. The Nationals were hoping he wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list, which is why he was day-to-day for a week and a half. Unfortunately, Rendon’s stint on the DL can only be backdated to Thursday, so he won’t be eligible to return until this weekend.

Rendon, 27, is hitting .286/.355/.411 with a home run and four RBI in 62 plate appearances so far this season. Wilmer Difo has been handling third base while Rendon has been out and figures to continue doing so for the next week or so.