Pablo Sandoval was back in the Giants’ starting lineup last night for the first time since March 16, but he didn’t last long.
According to Daniel Brown of the San Jose Mercury News, Sandoval went 0-for-2 as the DH before he was pulled due to more soreness in his right elbow. He has been dealing with a bone spur and an irritated ulnar nerve in the very same elbow for the past two weeks, so the Giants didn’t want to push him any further.
“He said there was a little discomfort, so we shut him down,” Bochy said.
Sandoval has previously expressed confidence that he would be ready for Opening Day against the Dodgers on Monday, but he said after last night’s game that he’s now going to take things day by day. If Sandoval isn’t available for the early part of the season, the Giants are expected to go with Joaquin Arias at third base.
Jon Heyman reports that the Giants have released outfielder Melvin Upton. He requested his release.
Upton, who turned 33 yesterday, signed with San Francisco in early April after the Blue Jays released him. It was a minor league deal. After recovering from a rash of minor injuries, Upton batted .244/.306/.333 in 12 games at Triple-A Sacramento. There was no indication that the Giants were going to call him up. I presume that, back when they signed him, they figured they’d be contending and could maybe use a veteran bat. That’s obviously not the case anymore.
I suppose it’s possible that someone gives Upton a look when rosters expand in eight days, but I figure it’s more likely that we’ll next see him as he fights to make a team on a minor league deal next spring.
Andrew Miller leaving last night’s Indians-Red Sox game got all the press, but the Indians lost another key player in the game as well: Carlos Santana. He was forced to leave after going 0-for-3. There was no followup announcement after the game, so he’s likely being reevaluated.
Santana is hitting .250/.355/.446 on the year, but he’s been pretty hot of late, hitting .375 with a couple of homers in the past week.