Pedro Feliciano failed to win a spot in the Mets’ bullpen and may decided to opt out of his minor-league contract rather than accept an assignment to Triple-A, according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
“They told me I’m going to Triple-A for a month and get my strength back,” Feliciano told Rubin. “I have to talk to my agent first and then see what we’re going to decide.”
It’s tough to imagine another team giving Feliciano an immediate big-league opportunity considering he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2010 due to arm injuries and if he does accept the assignment to Triple-A he’d get a $100,000 bonus as part of his contract.
The Dodgers announced on Thursday that the club activated pitcher Grant Dayton from the 10-day disabled list and designated pitcher Sergio Romo for assignment.
Dayton, 29, went on the disabled list earlier this month with neck stiffness. He’ll resume with a 3.63 ERA and a 20/12 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings.
Romo, 34, signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Dodgers in February. It didn’t really work out, as the right-hander posted a 6.12 ERA with a 31/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. His peripherals are still decent, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a team in need of a bullpen arm makes a deal with the Dodgers within the week.
MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports that Royals pitcher Nate Karns underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Wednesday. He’s expected to be ready for spring training next year. Karns went on the disabled list in May with an elbow injury and didn’t make much progress.
The Royals acquired Karns from the Mariners in January in exchange for outfielder Jarrod Dyson. Over eight starts and one relief appearance, the 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 4.17 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio in 45 1/3 innings.
Karns will enter his first of three years of arbitration eligibility after the season, so he’ll be under the Royals’ control through 2020.