The Yankees’ front office sure is getting desperate.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, there are serious trade talks taking place between the Angels and Yankees concerning outfielder Vernon Wells. Passan says the deal could be completed by the end of the day Sunday if Wells signs off on it.
Wells has a full no-trade clause, but the Yankees can offer him much more playing time than he would get this year in Anaheim behind Mike Trout, Josh Hamilton and Peter Bourjos. Then again, Wells has stated that he plans to retire from baseball after the 2014 season so maybe he doesn’t care about reestablishing himself as a viable starting outfielder.
Wells batted just .230/.279/.403 with 11 homers and 29 RBI in 262 plate appearances last season for the Halos. The 34-year-old is owed a $21 million salary in 2013 and another $21 million in 2014.
UPDATE, 3:54 PM ET: ESPN’s Buster Olney heard from a source that Wells is “excited about the possibility” of playing for the Yankees and that there’s a “strong chance” a swap gets done. The Angels will have to eat a large majority of the money still owed to Wells, so working everything out could take some time.
UPDATE, 4:12 PM ET: CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reports that the Yanks are looking over Wells’ medicals.
UPDATE, 4:30 PM ET: According to Passan, Wells has informed the Angels that he will accept the deal. Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times adds that Wells’ things are being removed from the Angels’ spring training complex. It sounds like there are only a few more minor details to be worked out.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.