After making it through batting practice and fielding drills this morning, Derek Jeter is set to DH this afternoon in a minor league game. The veteran shortstop was shut down earlier this week due to inflammation in his surgically-repaired left ankle and received a cortisone injection on Wednesday.
While Jeter is obviously making progress, he told reporters this morning that he doesn’t plan to provide daily updates on his ankle moving forward. Via Bryan Hoch of MLB.com:
“I will not address how anything feels anymore,” Jeter said. “It’s good. It’s not broken. Some things, you’ve got to work through, like I told you. It’s really pointless to sit here and say each and every day, ‘How’s it feel? Does it feel better?’
“It’s pointless. Some days are good, some days are bad, but you’ve got to work through it. That’s what I’m going to do.”
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman expressed some doubt this week whether Jeter will be ready for Opening Day, so he could stay on the minor league side for a little while in order to leave open the possibility of backdating a stint on the disabled list. The Yankees likely want to see him play a full nine innings at shortstop and/or back-to-back days before clearing him for the start of the season, even though he figures to be used at DH quite a bit in the early going.
The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.
Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.
Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.