Matt Wieters open to extension with Orioles

4 Comments

Orioles catcher Matt Wieters is interested in signing a contract extension, but does not want it to distract him from the 2013 season according to MASN’s Steve Melewski:

Is he a player that would not be in favor of any in-season contract talks?

“You know, once the season gets here, I’d rather focus on the year,” Wieters said. “Like I said, I am here for three years no matter what, so it’s not like we have to get something done during the year. We love Baltimore and right now we are happy and excited for this year.”

The 26-year-old Wieters doesn’t become a free agent until after the 2015 season. However, he and the Orioles agreed to a one-year, $5.5 million deal on January 18, avoiding arbitration in his first year of eligibility. The Orioles could save themselves some money by buying out the remaining two years and beyond.

Wieters hit 23 home runs, made the All-Star team for the second time, and won a second Gold Glove award as well last season.

The Cubs will try to clinch the NL Central on Tuesday

Dylan Buell/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Cubs soundly defeated the Cardinals on Monday night, 10-2, sending their magic number down to one. They will try to clinch the NL Central on Tuesday with another win against the Cardinals. Alternatively, if they lose, they can still clinch if the Brewers also lose on Tuesday.

The Cubs, of course, won the Central last year en route to winning their first World Series since 1908. It wasn’t nearly as easy this year as the club was below .500 entering June and was exactly at .500 entering July. A 16-8 July, 17-12 August, and 15-8 September have helped put the Cubs back in position to return to the postseason.

Not to be forgotten, the Cardinals were eliminated from NL Central contention with Monday’s loss. Now they have their sights set on the second NL Wild Card slot and currently trail the Rockies in that race.

The matchups for Tuesday’s action:

Carter Capps to undergo surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome

Kent Horner/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Padres pitcher Carter Capps will undergo surgery this offseason to address thoracic outlet syndrome, which doctors believe caused the right-hander’s blood clots. The Padres hope to have him ready by spring training next year.

Capps, 27, underwent Tommy John surgery last year and didn’t debut this season until August 7. He made 11 relief appearances, yielding nine runs on 12 hits and two walks with seven strikeouts in 12 1/3 innings. He went back on the DL on September 12 due to the blood clot issue.

The Padres acquired Capps from the Marlins last July in the Andrew Cashner trade which ended up having a lot of moving parts. Capps will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility this offseason. It’s quite possible the Padres choose to non-tender him.