Great Moments in Customer Service: The Marlins threaten to sue longtime season ticket holders

56 Comments

The Miami New Times reports the latest in Jeff Loria’s apparent plot to alienate every single person on the planet: suing the team’s fans when they have the audacity to complain about something.

The upshot: Bill and Jan Leon have been Marlins season ticket holders since 1998. Last year they moved with the team to the new park and entered into a two-year agreement for tickets, covering 2012 and 2013. They say their season ticket agreement allows them to move their seats if they didn’t like the location after the first year in the new ballpark. They didn’t like it because, after they checked out their seats and entered into the agreement, the Marlins put up a billboard and padding that obscured their view.  So the Leons said they didn’t want those seats anymore. They wanted to be moved further down the third base line.

They got no response from the team and their request to be moved went unanswered, they say. So they gave an ultimatum: move them to a different pair of seats or they wouldn’t pay for the second season.  Then they got a letter dated March 8 which demanded that they pay for the seats or else the team would sue them. There’s a scanned copy of the letter in the linked article.

The Marlins at this point have, what, a few hundred season ticket holders? And how many with the tenure of the Leons? Tell me: does anyone in the Marlins place NOT try to accommodate these people? Does anyone in their right mind threaten them with a lawsuit?  Even if the Leons are blowing smoke and this is really some ploy to get out from under their season ticket agreement, is this the best way to handle it? Or does one in the Marlins’ place instead call their bluff, see if they’re still unwilling to pay and then proceed to collection via less obnoxious means?

What in the hell is wrong with that team?

(link via CBS Sports.com)

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.

Dave Roberts: It “doesn’t make sense” for Scott Kazmir to start year in Dodgers’ rotation

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
2 Comments

Scott Kazmir won’t begin the regular season in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Manager Dave Roberts said after Kazmir’s Cactus League outing on Sunday that it “doesn’t make sense” for the ailing Kazmir to break camp in the rotation, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. The lefty will instead rehab some more and join the rotation at a later time.

Kazmir has been battling a hip issue which has caused his mechanics to suffer. He was clocked in the low 80’s 10 days ago and wasn’t much better on Sunday afternoon.

Last season with the Dodgers, Kazmir posted a 4.56 ERA with a 134/52 K/BB ratio in 136 1/3 innings, his worst numbers since returning to the majors in 2013.