Scott Baker sent for precautionary MRI on right elbow

4 Comments

The Cubs have been aiming for right-hander Scott Baker to join their rotation at some point in April, but after a bumpy Cactus League debut yesterday, he’s now being sent for an MRI on his surgically-repaired right elbow.

Baker, who is currently working his way back from Tommy John surgery, gave up three hits — including a three-run homer to Chris Young — and two walks while retiring only one batter yesterday against the Athletics. He woke up this morning with some soreness in the elbow, so Cubs manager Dale Sveum told MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat they just want to rule out anything serious.

“He came in today kind of sore in the [elbow] so we’re going to do an MRI today,” Cubs manager Dale Sveum said Monday. “[Tuesday] morning, he could come in with no symptoms at all, and it [could’ve been] normal type feeling that other people get who didn’t have Tommy John surgery.”

Baker, 31, joined the Cubs over the winter on a one-year, $5.5 million deal and could make an additional $1.5 million with incentives. With Matt Garza also DL-bound to begin the season, the Cubs are set to go with Jeff Samardzija, Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman, Travis Wood and Carlos Villanueva in their starting rotation.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”