We learned yesterday that Padres’ right-hander Casey Kelly was sent for tests on his ailing right elbow. Unfortunately the results pointed toward the worst-case scenario.
According to Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Kelly said Tuesday’s exam showed “micro tears” in the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He’ll go for a second opinion before deciding whether to undergo Tommy John surgery, but he conceded that it’s the most likely outcome.
“I’ve prepared myself for the worst,” said Kelly at an impromptu press conference in a hallway of the Padres spring training complex.
“I don’t have too many options. The doctors are concerned with what they saw.”
Interestingly, Kelly noted that this week’s MRI wasn’t much different from what was found last year. However, since rehab hasn’t done the job, he has prepared himself for the possibility of going under the knife. If Tommy John surgery is required, he will miss the entire season.
Kelly made six starts for the Padres last season and was recently ranked as the game’s 45th best prospect by Baseball America. While surgery would be a tough blow, he doesn’t turn 24 until October.
The Red Sox have more or less withdrawn from the Edwin Encarnacion sweepstakes, with Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald noting that much of their reluctance hinges on the likelihood that they’d exceed the new $195 million luxury tax threshold by locking the DH into a lucrative deal. That doesn’t leave them without options, however, and FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reported that the club could be interested in 29-year-old corner infielder Pedro Alvarez, as well as fellow free agents Mike Napoli and Matt Holliday.
After playing just 10 games at DH from 2010 to 2015, Alvarez suited up as the Orioles’ primary designated hitter and part-time third baseman in 2016. His defense is sub-par, to say the least, but he batted .249/.322/.504 with 22 home runs for Baltimore in 2016.
According to Heyman, the Red Sox envision using Alvarez in much the same way the Orioles did. He’d have a place as the team’s DH with the occasional infield start, while Hanley Ramirez would keep his post at first base. Whether the Red Sox make offers to Napoli, Holliday or Alvarez, they’re expected to pursue a short-term deal in order to stay under budget.
The Braves signed left-handed reliever Jacob Lindgren to a one-year deal, according to a team announcement on Sunday.
Lindgren, the Yankees’ top draft pick in 2014, was nicknamed “The Strikeout Factory” after blowing through four levels of New York’s farm system in 2014. He started the 2015 season in Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and was called up for his major league debut only two months into the 2015 season. The 22-year-old lasted seven innings with the club before succumbing to bone chips in his elbow, and underwent bone spur surgery in June before trying his luck again during spring training in 2016.
In August, the Yankees shut Lindgren down for the remainder of the season so the lefty could undergo Tommy John surgery. With a projected return date of 2018, Lindgren was non-tendered by the Yankees on Friday.
While the Braves won’t get the benefit of Lindgren’s top prospect skill set in their bullpen anytime soon, he will remain under club control if they keep him on their 40-man roster beyond the 2017 season (per ESPN’s Keith Law).