Carl Crawford takes batting practice against teammates, calls it “a step in the right direction”

10 Comments

From Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times:

Carl Crawford faced relievers Kenley Jansen and J.P. Howell on Tuesday, marking the first time he took live batting practice against major league pitchers since he was shut down two weeks ago.

“A step in the right direction,” said Crawford, who resumed working out last week.

Crawford began experiencing forearm tightness in late February that is thought to be related to the Tommy John reconstructive elbow procedure that he had last August. He told reporters after Tuesday’s live batting practice session that his timing with the bat “wasn’t as far off as I would expect it to be.”

Crawford is unlikely to be ready for the start of the regular season, but a mid-April Dodgers debut is possible if he avoids further setbacks. The 31-year-old outfielder was traded from Boston to Los Angeles last summer in the blockbuster deal that also saw Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto move west. Crawford inked a seven-year, $142 million free agent contract with the Red Sox in December 2010.

Nationals place Anthony Rendon on disabled list

Rob Carr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Nationals announced that third baseman Anthony Rendon has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 19, with a toe contusion. Pitcher Austin Adams was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse.

Rendon fouled a pitch off of his foot on April 13 in a game against the Rockies. The Nationals were hoping he wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list, which is why he was day-to-day for a week and a half. Unfortunately, Rendon’s stint on the DL can only be backdated to Thursday, so he won’t be eligible to return until this weekend.

Rendon, 27, is hitting .286/.355/.411 with a home run and four RBI in 62 plate appearances so far this season. Wilmer Difo has been handling third base while Rendon has been out and figures to continue doing so for the next week or so.