Report: The Cubs have told Carlos Marmol’s agent to “expect” a trade

Leave a comment

There was a report earlier this week that the Cubs were looking to trade Carlos Marmol before the end of spring training. While that was quickly shot down, it appears that the erratic reliever could be on the move at some point in the future.

According to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, top team officials have told Marmol’s agent to “expect” a trade this season. The ideal scenario for the Cubs is that he’ll pitch well enough to build up his value while his eventual replacement, Kyuji Fujikawa, gets acclimated to the big leagues.

Marmol has a limited no-trade clause, so he can control his destiny to a certain degree. He was close to being dealt to the Angels during the offseason, but the trade fell through because the Cubs had concerns about Dan Haren’s medicals.

Marmol finished last season with a 3.42 ERA and 72 strikeouts in 55 1/3 innings, but he also walked 18.2 percent of the batters he faced. Among pitchers who threw at least 50 innings last season, nobody else walked more than 16.2 percent. The 30-year-old right-hander is eligible to become a free agent after 2013.

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.