Rangers, Nolan Ryan could reach resolution

8 Comments

MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports that Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan flew to Dallas to meet with co-owners Ray Davis and Bob Simpson. Ryan had considered stepping down from his position as there is a bit of a power struggle involving Ryan and general manager Jon Daniels. Sullivan says Ryan could end up sticking around after all:

A resolution could be reached that would allow Ryan to remain with the Rangers and there is a possibility that a formal announcement will be made at some point this weekend, according to a source.

Ryan directly hired pitching coach Mike Maddux and bench coach Jackie Moore, moves that are usually reserved for the general manager. There was also some messiness within the organization surrounding Ryan’s titles, as noted by Evan Grant:

The Rangers never should have given Ryan two titles when Chuck Greenberg was pushed out of the organization. He should have moved into the CEO’s role then and the current array of titles could have been divided up then.

Outfielder David Murphy doesn’t think the Ryan situation will affect the team, saying, “I think an issue with a player is one thing but if it’s something that deals with the front office, that’s not an issue. We have absolutely no control over that.”

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
12 Comments

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”